How appropriate. The theme for NaBloPoMo this month is Roots, so here’s a sneak peak of mine.
Seven People I’m Proud to Call Relatives
- Marjorie Overholt, mother. The nicest, kindest person you’d ever hope to meet.
- Owen Overholt, father. Imminently fair and honest, a lawyer who loved the law more than money.
- James Roderick Overholt, uncle. Phi Beta Kappa, and adored by everyone who met him.
- Connie McCutchon, first cousin once removed. Listed in Who’s Who, she shares a birthday with my mother, and another hero of mine, Abraham Lincoln.
- Sigel Overholt, grandfather. He lived to be 101 years, 6 months. The six months is important because his older sister (Connie’s mother) lived to be only 101 years, 3 months.
- Henry Carter, grandfather. He could be ornery and difficult, but he was larger than life.
- Cassie Carter, grandmother. If I’d had one, I’d have named my daughter after her.
Honorable mention: Debra Overholt, “niece-in-law.” She wasn’t a relative by blood, but she was family. Intelligent, talented, loving and kind, she died much too soon.
More to come…