When I first watched it, there were moments I was totally awed, by either the story or the animation. (And I haven’t even seen it in 3D yet!) These are some of those moments. (The list actually started with 11; these seven are the best of the best.)
Danger, danger! If you’ve not seen the movie, stop reading now. Besides possibly ruining the surprise, it might not make sense. And also, what are you waiting for?
Seven Amazing (1st Viewing) Moments
from How to Train Your Dragon (the movie)
- Hiccup’s first encounter with the downed dragon: As the camera pans across its wing, its eye opens. (According to the the DVD commentary this was unintentional. But what a great mistake!)
- As Hiccup steps through the dragon’s maze, he looks as if he’s dancing. He turns his body rhythmically, and his hair waves with the movement.
- When the dragon puts his head in Hiccup’s hand, Hiccup gasps. It’s such a realistic moment, and we feel his thrill.
- As Toothless returns to the cove after his first flight with his tail fin (and Hiccup hanging on to his tail), the dragon’s body is reflected in the water. Gorgeous!
- On the way to the dragons’ island, the number of dragons flying alongside Toothless is slowly revealed. The numbers just keep growing until dragons have completely filled the screen.
- Having been trapped under water while the Vikings are fighting the Green Death (sometimes erroneously called the Red Death), Toothless suddenly resurfaces carrying Stoic. Not only is it a surprise, Toothless’s arched back and curved wings make a powerful yet graceful image.
- When Hiccup regains consciousness, he makes his way outside leaning on Toothless. Toothless’s tail sweeps across screen, and we see how interrelated these two are. (Oh yeah, I’ve heard this scene produces audible gasps from theater audiences. )
So those are some of my favorite scenes. What about you? Do you love the movie? What are some of your favorite moments?