Yes, it’s another How to Train Your Dragon Sunday Seven list. It won’t be the last.
Last June, in my first How to Train Your Dragon Sunday Seven, I listed seven unexpected or moving moments from the film. Yet the movie is so rich in its story and animation, there were several things I missed upon first viewing. So here are seven things I noticed upon watching the movie a second time.
Seven Things I Caught When Watching How to Train Your Dragon for a Second Time
- During the DreamWorks logo/credit, after the boy in the moon casts his fishing line, a Night Fury flies across the night sky.
- Hiccup is left-handed. At the time I hadn’t read any of the books, so I was curious as to why the creators made this choice. Once I’d read How to be a Pirate (the second volume in the How to Train Your Dragon series of books), everything made sense.
- Gothi, the village elder, watches the teens’ dragon training session with the Deadly Nadder. She also observes the Zippleback training session, and thereafter is joined by more and more villagers.
- Also during Nadder training session: when Snotlout, trying to impress Astrid, throws his weapon at the dragon and misses, the Nadder laughs at him.
- Towards the end of the “Forbidden Friendship” scene (when Hiccup tries to befriend the dragon in the cove), after Hiccup has made it successfully through the dragon’s maze, his hand reaching out is in 3-D. Since I’ve only seen the movie in 2-D, I hadn’t realized this was an obvious 3-D “gag.”
- When Hiccup and Toothless race through the archipelago without the aid of the cheat sheet at the end of their “Test Drive”), Toothless does a 360-degree barrel roll.
- After the teens arrive at the battle scene with the Green Death, Astrid throws a salute to the others when she and Hiccup peel off to save Toothless.
There you have just some of the delightful wonders this film provides. What are your favorites?
And just because it must be said:
Only 88 days until How to Train Your Dragon 2 is in theaters!